Cruden Bay is traditional Scottish links golf course, originally designed by Tom Morris and Archie Simpson, and only two hours drive from St Andrews, the “Home of Golf”. We are a warm and welcoming club that caters for both members and visiting golfers from across the globe. Our experienced pro shop staff, first class bar and catering staff and the club’s administration team ensures a warm welcome to Cruden Bay and promises that your day playing golf in Aberdeenshire will be one to remember.
Our Golf Course creates unique challenges demanding the skills of power, placement and fine judgement upon the discerning golfer. Set against a backdrop of subtly contoured greens and magnificent panoramic views, our course truly justifies its position as 54th BEST COURSE IN THE WORLD in the 2013 US publication Links Magazine. 70th IN THE WORLD in the 2013-14 Golf Digest Top 100, and the Golf World Magazine voted us in 2012 the 2nd Top Fun Course in Great Britain & Ireland.
Earliest nearby human traces are evident in nearby Catto Long Barrow, a massive stone structure now surrounded by agricultural fields. The nearby cliff top Slains Castle was begun in 1597 and abandoned and un-roofed for tax purposes in the 1920s. Bishop’s Bridge spans Cruden Water and dates from 1697. William Hay, 18th Earl of Erroll, established the fishing community of Port Erroll in the 1840s and 1850s. A functional harbour at the mouth of the Water of Cruden was added in the 1870s. Before that a tiny, long-abandoned hamlet of rudimentary fisher cottages, simply known as Ward, stood exposed on top of Ward Hill, just above the harbour site. There was also a parish school since 1606, housed in the elegant two-storey Erroll Schoolhouse (now a B & B) from 1834; the Presbyterian Church dedicated to Saint Olaf or commonly called the Old Kirk—built in 1776, with distinctive conical towers added in 1833—and Saint James Episcopal Church, notably the first structure designed by architect William Hay on top of Chapel Hill in 1842.