Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is a links-style golf club located in the town of Southampton on Long Island, New York. It has hosted the U.S. Open four times in three different centuries and is scheduled to host again in 2018. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
The club traces its roots to an 1889–90 trip by William K. Vanderbilt, Edward Meade and Duncan Cryder, to Biarritz in southern France where they encountered Willie Dunn, from Scotland, who was building a golf course at the resort. Back in the United States, Meade and Cryder scouted for a place for a golf course near New York City. They chose the sandhills adjoining the Long Island Rail Road just east of the Shinnecock Canal. The 80-acre (320,000 m2) parcel was purchased for $2,500 and 44 original members signed up for $100 each.
Willie Davis from the Royal Montreal Club designed a 12-hole course that opened in late summer 1891. Members of Shinnecock Indian Nation helped build the course (which is on land they have laid claim to and which remains in litigation). Stanford White designed the club house which opened in 1892 and is said to be the oldest golf club house in the United States.In 1893 a 9-hole ladies-only course was designed and built at Shinnecock Hills. In 1894 Dunn arrived and added six more holes bringing the total to 18. That same year Dunn won an informal attempt to establish a national championship at Newport, Rhode Island. The following year Shinnecock was one of five founding clubs of the United States Golf Association, which held the first U.S. Open in 1895 in Newport.
In 1896 Shinnecock hosted the second U.S. Open. Many of the golfers broke 80 on a course which was playing less than 5,000 yards. This led to demands to make the course more difficult. Participating in the 1896 open was black player John Shippen. The popular ladies’ course was abandoned in 1901 to allow for a lengthening and redesign by Charles B. Macdonald and Seth Raynor, retaining five of Dunn’s original holes. William Flynn redesigned the course in 1937 into a 6,740-yard (6,163 m) configuration. Flynn’s design retains five of Macdonald and Raynor’s holes and the green of a sixth hole. Prior to the 2004 U.S. Open the course was extended to a length of 6,996 yards (6,397 m) by the addition of extra tees.